I had some leftover buttermilk and wanted to bake something with it and well avoid studying for another half hour. I found a basic muffin recipe and adapted it as I love lemon poppy seed bread/muffins. I made these twice, tweaking the 2nd version a bit more which is what you see here. Make sure to use fresh lemon juice. Don’t have buttermilk? Don’t worry! You can “make” buttermilk: Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar to 1 cup milk, let sit 15 minutes. Now I am hungry again, guess I better go eat 2, I mean 1 more muffin 😉
For the Muffins:
2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt1 beaten egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 vegetable oil
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
For the Icing:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice2 teaspoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
For the muffins:
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Grease 12 2 1/2 inch muffin cups or line with paper baking cups and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds; set aside.
4. In separate bowl combine eggs, milk, butter, lemon juice and lemon rind.
5. Make a well in the flour, you can do this by using the back of a spoon.
6. Add the milk mixture at once to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Be careful not to over mix.
7. Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pan, filling cups about 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the muffins comes out a few crumbs only.
8. Let sit for about a 2 minutes in the muffin pan then remove muffins and let finish cooling on a wire rack.
For the icing:
1. Mix powdered sugar, buttermilk, and lemon juice until lumps are gone.
2. Add lemon rind.
3. Ice muffins when fully cooled.
Source: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book